Friday 4 April 2014

Book Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)

13206828Title: Cress                                   
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles
Published: 4th February 2014
Source: Gifted
Goodreads   

 Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.
                                         


I can say it now without a shadow of a doubt; I love the Lunar Chronicles. Yep, this book really confirmed my love for Marissa Meyer's fantastic series. This book is, by far, the best one so far. It has action, romance, heartbreak and moments where you are just like oh no, you did not just do that to me. Marissa Meyer was not scared to go the extra mile in this book, which I really appreciate.

We first see Cress in Cinder but really meeting her in this book was just refreshing in a way. While Cinder is strong and Scarlet is butt-kicking, Cress is a shy, sweet, naive girl that is the exaact opposite of Cinder and Scarlet but she still has that element that makes her heroic. I love how Marissa Meyer makes each character unique! You'd never expect an extremely shy and naive person to be an excellent hacker would you? I see myself in Cress the most; it's the way how she deals with situations and how she thinks upon them.

“Maybe there isn’t such a thing as fate. Maybe it’s just the opportunities we’re given, and what we do with them. I’m beginning to think that maybe great, epic romances don’t just happen. We have to make them ourselves.”
Ahh ... Thorne. How much I love Thorne and ship Thress. He really became his own in this book. If you thought you liked Thorne in Scarlet, wait until you read Cress because you will fall in love. His character development throughout this series is flawless and his interactions with Cress are just hilarious and sweet and adorable.

“If you honestly believe that," said Thorne, stowing the gun again, "then you really don't recognize true value when you see it.”
We were also introduced to Winter, the main narrarator of the next book and I thought her introduction was hilarious (in a good way)! She's a Lunar princess who hasn't used her gift since twelve, which results in her being slightly ... insane. I can't wait for Winter to come out so we can really get to know her (among other things as well, don't worry).

So much stuff went down in this book. The action was non-stop but what I really adored about the action/plot was that it was realistic. Even though it is a sci-fi and a fairytale retelling, it doesn't shy away the fact that things that happen is realistic if you know what I mean. Ms Meyer's writing left me thinking what on Luna (hah, see what I did there?) is going to happen next? 

I'm both anticipating and sort of terrified for Winter. I really don't want this fantastic series to end but I really want to know what will happen, am I the only one feeling this way? I loved Cress and, as it is a new favourite, stars cannot portray my love for this book.

Hagar Manssour

P.S -- I think the series would make a really great TV show, if done right!

1 comment:

  1. Grt Review..Now will have to check out this series..I love books that have the potential of getting adapted for TV..:)

    I have also nominated your blog for the Sunshine Award. Do checkout my post here: http://njkinny.blogspot.in/2014/04/sunshine-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete